Friday, April 13, 2012

“Hang Nails”


There are very few things that really grind my gears in life and one of them is…

Yep, HANG NAILS.
Growing up I had a habit of biting my nails, even as I tried to let them grow out or after making bets that I could let them grow out for a certain period of time. I failed every single time. As I got older, I really made up in my mind that I would grow my nails without biting them …mainly because they looked horrible, lol. So when I get a “hang nail” after I’ve been working SO HARD on growing them out, I feel kind of down when I finally muster up the strength to clip it off.  It’s important that I clip it off because nothing else will grow on that finger until I do…and if something DOES manage to grow, it will be weak and will certainly break. As a few days go by, I hate looking at that nail….until it eventually grows back and catches up with the other nails and I’m all happy again, ready to show off the progress.
This brings me to a question: How many of us have Spiritual “Hang Nails?” You know: things that we’ve grown accustomed to being there/the way they are or habits we’re used to having that need to be cut away so that growth can take place.
                           
The Word of God declares, “I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn’t produce fruit, and He prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more.  You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.” John 15:1-4

Funny thing with pruning is that: From the outside whatever is being pruned LOOKS like it is producing…
                          
There are some things we keep around in our lives that are either serving no purpose or harming us that we keep around because we’re comfortable with the idea of that thing. Those things are taking up time, space, energy, and resources from things that will benefit us. The Bible tells us that God will prune the branches that do NOT bear fruit so they will bear even more ….my friend, God wants to take everything that isn’t fruitful or for your good away from you to make room for the things that He has for you.  “The blessing of the Lord makes a person rich, and He adds no sorrow with it.” – Prov. 10:22 (Side Note: Let these stressful SELECTIVE relationships…especially friendships go! Granted every type of relationship has “ups & down” but relationships should not be stressful. If it’s unfruitful, let it go!)

The only way to have this spiritual pruning or purging process is to remain in Christ, and not that it’s a “give-and-take exchange”, there are benefits in allowing God to prune, shape, and mold youas John 15:7 states: “But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted!”
I urge you to let go of anything or anyone that is preventing you from spiritual growth, let go of what’s familiar and sometimes comfortable. You cannot grow without a solid foundation ….and sometimes, like with a hang nail, you have to….
                            
Just as John urged the church at Ephesus (Rev 2:4-5), return to your first love of Christ… when you were “on fire for God” and possessed the sheer excitement of a kid on Christmas Eve.
 Yes, it’s painful sometimes but I assure you the reward of watching your OWN progress & growth in God will be well worth it. That way you can “In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” – Matt 5:16
I pray that you have a wonderful Merry Christmas celebrating the birth of our Lord and Savior while using this season as a time to kick the Love of Christ we show daily up to another level! It is my prayer that you, your home, family, everything you put your hands to be blessed and that anything that concerns you is looked upon favorably by the Lord our God.
Allison 
(originally posted December 21,2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment